Mrs. Augustin's Grade 5/6 Class Blog

Grow, Learn, Connect, Serve

Genius Hour

What is Genius Hour?

Genius Hour is a time set aside in class for students to study a new idea or skill that they choose and are passionate about once a week for a set amount of time.

Why is Genius Hour important?

Students take ownership in their own learning. They learn about something they want to learn about. Genius Hour sparks curiosity, and students have an opportunity to become their own Genius. Genius Hour encourages life-long learning, imagination, perseverance, self-awareness, adaptability, as well as other life-lessons.

How will Genius Hour work in my classroom?

Students will participate in Genius Hour on Friday for 45 minutes.  Students will start their projects on November 19. After mini-lessons on what is appropriate, students will choose a topic to study with Teacher Approval. Students will be given time in class to research and work on the project with the teacher serving as a Facilitator. The Facilitator will provide research materials (ie., books, computer, iPads, etc.) for students to explore. As an end to their project, students must present their process of the project in some form to our class.

How does this fit with the BC Curriculum?

The great thing about Genius Hour is, not only do students get to pick something they are passionate about to work on, the work they do on the project and the presentation of their work also naturally ties in with a whole bunch of curriculum objectives and expectations!

How Can I Help?

There are many ways to help. As students decide what they want to do, they will need help expanding their ideas and finding resources. Discussing your child’s ideas and helping with where to find some great resources will be extremely important. As well, while I will provide some basic resources and technology, students may need more specific items that I will not be able to provide. Assisting your child to bring together the materials they need, will help your child be more successful with their passion and project. There will be times I notify parents that we will be taking a break throughout the year.

We are excited to share this opportunity with your child as we embark on this adventure together in the Intermediate Department.

Skip to toolbar