Mrs. Augustin's Grade 5/6 Class Blog

Grow, Learn, Connect, Serve

By

May 30-June 3

Hello Parents,

You may have heard from your student that I am not returning to Highroad next year. God has led my family and I to move to Morinville, Alberta. Please join me in praying for Highroad in finding my replacement.

I need two parent volunteers for our fieldtrip on June 9. We will be kayaking, doing art of our surroundings, and a science lab. You will need a current police check with the office to go and would need to drive there. Please let me know asap.

If you do not use your Chilliwack newspaper, please have your student bring it on Monday for an art project. We will be doing a papier-mache activity.

The Grade 5 students in my class were growing potatoes in pots. Unfortunately, due to the very wet weather, our potatoes did not survive. They were rotten. I will be buying some potatoes for a potato party this week Thursday. I still want to celebrate the hard work and dedication that the students did to try to make the potatoes grow. We still were able to use our science skills of observation, measurement and graphing, and critical thinking and analyzing to be able to reflect on the outcome.

We have been invited to attend the Highschool production of the Highroad Star this week on Friday so we will be doing our last Genius Hour on Thursday this week. I will be asking each student to present what they have done for Genius Hour this year.

Learning for students this week:

• Math – Geometry: Angles, Area and Perimeter and 3D shape attributes.
  • LA- Grammar and sentence focused work; Class Read Aloud: The Candymakers and the Great Chocolate Chase
  • Science- Grade 5: We are designing a sustainability city model project.
    • Grade 6: Newton’s Three Laws of Motion activity
  • French – Finishing numbers mystery picture
  • Social Studies–  Current Events articles.
  • Bible –  Book of Psalms and Bible sword drills.
  • Art – Finishing Mandala Art & DIY: Pinata balloon project.
  • PE – Please make sure your student has their PE uniform and running shoes for Wednesday and Thursday! If a student is injured, please send me an email to excuse them from PE.

This Week:

Monday – Please bring newspaper for an art project.

Wednesday – Last Chapel of the year: Nicholas, Jessa, Josh and Jason

Thursday – Potato party! Students to bring their favorite toppings for fries. Last Genius Hour this year!

Friday, June 3Last BMV: 1 John 3:18 & Knights Day

Upcoming Dates

Monday, June 6 – Spring Showcase @ 2:00pm – Please head over the the MY HRA section of the school website, under the news area you will be able to sign up for seats as there are limited seats.

Thursday, June 9 – Grade 5/6 and Grade 6 Kayaking Fieldtrip at Cultus Lake.

Friday, June 10 – Fun Day events for students

Wednesday, June 15 – Day at Cultus Water slides for Intermediates

Friday, June 17 – Last Day for Students and Report Cards